THE ESSENCE OF THE STORY
The story of any region is based on its roots and character.
In order to know who we are, we need to know our roots – our origins and our history. And it’s just as important to define our character – what’s typical for us and what makes us different from others. This applies to people as well as brand, product or even region. Everything is based on the texts that describe our roots and character: any brochure, website or the tiniest flier has to be based on the roots and character of the region. And why is that? Because our narrative needs to be unified and authentic. Not only the story but also all the materials based on it need to have the same foundation. In fact, the story of the region describes how these and our values form who we are.
• ROOTS OF THE REGION
- Ideal size and location
- Understanding its exceptional character, our ancestors turned this region into a crossroads of trade routes along the Amber Road. Located among Vienna, Prague and Bratislava, it has remained exceptional and offers unique comfort to all who arrive: big on opportunities, small on distance. Everything is so close here – universities, historical sights, state institutions, and major airports. And you can walk through the centre of Brno, the Czech Republic’s second largest city, in just a few minutes!
- We enjoy our Central European climate, varied nature and versatile landscape
- We have a typical Central European climate with real seasons and as varied as the region itself. The fertile lowlands of the Lower Morava Valley turn into the Pálava Hills with their vast vineyards, through which the Thaya River meanders. The Moravian Karst spreads to the north, with Chřiby, the Vizovice Hills and the White Carpathians to the east. What a beautiful place! And there’s an activity for everyone to enjoy here. Outdoor people have hiking, biking, motor biking, and camping out, gardeners spend the whole summer outside, and food enthusiasts never get bored sampling the local food. And everybody, even those just passing through, is absolutely charmed by how green this region and the city of Brno are.
- A rich history close to everybody
- This is where history was made and lots of things started. This is where somebody created a small figurine which, thousands of years later, we now call the Venus of Dolní Věstonice. This is where the Great Moravian Empire used to spread from and where trade caravans delivering goods travelled. Even the places we walk through every day still bear the signs of battle fought by Napoleon’s army. All these stories beg to be told, and they are: they live on thanks to the numerous museums of this region, all open to the public.
- Long tradition of innovation, invention, and discovery
- In the 18th and 19th centuries it was called “Moravian Manchester”, as local textile factories had risen to global importance. Then our region made a name for itself among engineering leaders, built up the largest exhibition grounds in Central Europe, founded a polytechnic university and today boasts its position as an epicentre for research and development. It was here that Gregor Mendel defined the laws of inheritance, Viktor Kaplan developed his turbine, Kurt Gödel started to work on his logical theorems, and where Leoš Janáček began his musical journey. And brands like Zetor, Zbrojovka, Lachema, Tesla and Královopolská will forever be our national jewels and proof that this is where people have always managed to turn their visions into reality.
- The future of our region lies in knowledge
- Don’t worry – as passionate as we are about our history, we aren’t stuck in the past. Knowledge economy in this region is thriving, as the many research centres based here show. Every year thousands of promising young people come here to begin their careers at local high schools and universities. Brands such as AVG, Y Soft, Safetica, Tescan, and dozens of other products and companies with global reach are based here in our region.
- Home to kind, hospitable and active people
- Everybody, even those only passing through, will confirm that it’s the people who make this place so unique. Typically, they are hospitable, cordial and social people, with a peculiar sense of humour, and they care about traditions and live in harmony with nature. Proud of their local products and always original and authentic. Thanks to the unique size of this region the local people are close to each other and enjoy getting together in numerous clubs and associations. They like to get involved and care for the common good, so it’s no wonder that this region stands out thanks to its many environmental organizations. For all the reasons and many more, including the strong religious beliefs of locals, society here can be described as emancipated, authentic, tolerant, and open-minded.
- A blend of numerous influences, nationalities, and generations
- Not so long ago this place was inhabited by three nationalities – Czech, Jews, and Germans. These days the region enjoys a steady influx of new blood and ideas. Every year thousands of students from all over the Czech Republic come here to study, and many of them never leave. In addition, a lot of people from other parts of the world move to work here.
- Special experiences wherever you go
- This place is where the traditional meets the modern. History, in the form of UNESCO sites, significant architecture or folk traditions on one hand, balanced with current wine-making culture or modern café culture, following from the interwar tradition, on the other. We care about culture here and you can choose from an exceptional, wide range of theatres, galleries, musical events or films. And faith, based on the Catholic tradition, as well as emphasis placed on nationality are important parts of people’s lives here.
• CHARACTER OF THE REGION